Teachers Pay Teachers Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Yoga in the Classroom

If you are anything like me, you would laugh at the thought of doing
yoga.  I have tried it a few times before and it just wasn't my thing.  I
have a hard time being silent and I am the least flexible person on
this planet.  I prefer a long run over yoga any day.

I have found a series of free yoga videos for kids that includes yoga stories, yoga poses, and yoga for the classroom!  My kindergarten kids have loved doing yoga when they need a brain break or are stuck indoors for recess.  A new video was recently uploaded and the kids went nuts over it (HINT: It has to do with a movie series)!  Check it out!

As
much as yoga is not for me, I completely understand the benefits of
it.  Everyone who does it raves about it.  I have seen articles about
yoga in the classroom and chuckled when I saw them.  People think my 5
year olds can be quiet and do yoga for an extended period of time?? No
way!

We had many days of rain and indoor recess.  I was
out of new ideas and figured I would give yoga a try.  I have no idea how to teach yoga, but there are fabulous YouTube videos.  My kids LOVED
it.  It is a new indoor recess favorite.  Cosmic Kids Yoga has at least 10 different yoga episodes.  They are fun, involve characters, and the kids go on an adventure.  It is a great, and quiet, way to do indoor recess.  I highly recommend you try yoga in the classroom with your kids.

I have posted one of their favorites below!  What is your favorite indoor recess activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment